We’ve all been there.
By “there,” I mean that exact moment when someone throws a harsh comment or crosses a boundary and our nervous system rebels.
Our heart beats quicken, our chest tightens, and a sudden urge to defend ourselves grows. What do we do? We snap back with something even sharper.
That brief window is where most of our conflicts are born. Whether it’s with a family member, a close friend, a boss, or a partner, it’s the exact moment a small misunderstanding turns into a massive fight, leaving us with words we can’t take back.
And honestly, can we really blame ourselves?
I’ve lived in that reactive space for most of my life. As someone who has always been assertive and refuses to accept disrespect or misunderstanding, I’ve exploded more times than I’d like to admit. I mean, my zodiac sign is Taurus—the bull. Can you really blame me?
Jokes aside, no matter what our sign, crafting a thoughtful or compassionate answer when our body is on high alert is nearly impossible. When our mind is convinced that it needs to protect us, striking back feels like the only option.
But let’s be real: it’s exhausting.
Having spent years in that cycle, I know how draining it is because nobody ever truly wins. It quickly turns into a back-and-forth fight where nobody listens or processes what is actually happening.
Fortunately, I’ve found a better way. It’s easily one of the hardest habits I’ve ever built, but I promise you, it changes everything in just five seconds.
It comes down to a single breath.
A five-second inhale and exhale might be all that stands between peace and regret, even if we don’t realize it yet.
Here is what actually happens during that tiny window:
When we are triggered, our awareness vanishes. There is no distance between the attack and our impulse—only a desperate rush to protect ourselves or hurt the other person back. As a result, our words come out fast, defensive, and instinctual.
By forcing ourselves to take just one conscious breath, we shift from being instinctual to being intentional.
I know five seconds and a quiet breath might sound simple (maybe even silly), and no, it won’t instantly solve our most complicated or intimate issues. But to our nervous system, whoa; it’s something big. In those few seconds, we make room for a calmer, clearer perspective. We choose to regulate our emotions instead of being controlled by them. We send a quiet, powerful message back to our mind to reassure it we are safe and there’s no danger here.
So, how do we actually practice this in the heat of the moment?
1. Catch the warning signs.
If we pay close attention, our bodies always signal the reaction before it happens. We usually ignore the warning and jump straight into the fight. But when those physical cues hit (the sudden spike in heart rate, the dry mouth, the tight chest, or the clenched jaw), it’s our sign to stop. Just freeze.
2. Inhale, exhale.
Let our physical cue trigger the breath. One slow, mindful breath is all it takes to interrupt the anger rising in our bodies. Focus entirely on the sensation of air entering our lungs and leaving our nostrils. If we need a second one, let’s take it.
3. Ask the only question that matters.
“Do I want to be right, or do I want to be at peace?”
Deep down, we already know the answer. We all long for peace at the end of the day. When we genuinely choose peace over pride, the words that follow that breath will look entirely different from the hurtful reaction we almost had.
Raw, initial reactions rarely serve us. They are built on fear and self-defense. By giving ourselves the gift of a single breath, we reclaim our power to respond with calm, grounded strength.
So, the next time we feel the urge to throw a defensive comment back, remember that sometimes the most mature, powerful thing we can say is nothing at all—just take a deep breath.
author: Elyane Youssef
Image: Ardalan Hamedani/Unsplash
Share on bsky

Read 0 comments and reply