Saturday, 3 October 2026

I Want You to Play (with Trash).

 


Yes, I want you to play with trash.

No, I’m not kidding, and no, I am not a raccoon. Moving your hands and using materials, any materials, to make something today, right now, is going to give your brain a delicious, much-needed sigh.

To be fair, when I started creative journaling, I did not play with trash.

I spent money on stickers, washi tape, the whole thing. I’m not necessarily saying you shouldn’t do that. I’m saying you may not need to. To start art journaling and to make weird, funky art that reflects you in this exact moment? You probably already have what you need.

I collect materials from various sources. I save all envelopes, the colorful, fun ones and the security envelopes that come with the bills (ew). The colorful ones are a giveaway, but the security envelopes usually have fun patterns on the inside. It adds such a fun dash of contrast that’s kind of hard to replicate.

Info flyers?

Save them.

Napkins leftover from your kid’s birthday party?

Save them.

Shipping box with weird symbols on it?

Keep it.

Packaging from your favorite beauty products?

Obviously, stash it. 

And just a hint on that note, the Billie razors available via mail through subscription have such fun packaging.

Tissue paper, old magazines, weird books from the free sidewalk sale outside your favorite bookstore are all open to be ripped, torn, cut, and glued.

I also paint papers, along with using various mixed media techniques. But random papers are my jam. Working an abstract collage in my art journal is next level joy. If I begin my day with ten minutes of gluing paper onto other paper, chances are I will be a more productive, delightful version of myself.

It helps to ground me in my body, as well as reminding me that I am a creative individual. Making things is my birthright. It’s all of our birthrights. You don’t need an art degree to make stuff, and you don’t have to break the bank either.

The world is messy and scary and uncertain enough as it is, so let’s not repress the fun, playful side of ourselves in the name of capitalism. It can be something simple or involved as you want, with tons of color or complete grayscale.

It’ll be yours.

It’ll be art because you say it is.

Spend a little time each day working through a small notebook, don’t set your sights too big or your goals too lofty. Just show up each day for a minimum of five minutes, and notice the difference. 

Yes, the work will pile up. The notebook will eventually be full. You will notice something different within yourself too. A quietness, or spaciousness. Taking a breath will be easier. You won’t be as reactive. You’ll actually be able to practice more presence in your day to day. 

We are here to make things, and we have been duped into thinking that making things is only for a select few. Take back your creativity today. Take it back right now. Go find some trash. Make something weird. Share it on the web if you want, or keep it for yourself. Just do it before we let them think they’ve won.

~


X

Read 0 comments and reply

Top Contributors Latest

Rikki Horvatic  |  Contribution: 160

author: Rikki Horvatic

Image: Author's Own

Editor: Molly Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment