Synchronicity Moments: When Life Feels Like It’s Sending You Signs
Some of the moments that make me question reality are surprisingly ordinary.
When you’re so used to living in a mental haze, reality can sometimes feel like a distant memory. But the moments that really make me stop and question reality are synchronicities.
The kind of moments that leave me sitting there thinking, “Wait… what are the odds of that happening?”
Like randomly thinking about a song I haven’t heard in years, only for it to suddenly start playing later that same day while I’m out somewhere. Or writing something while the TV is playing quietly in the background and typing the exact same word that gets spoken aloud at the exact same moment. Also, why is it that any time I actually think about looking at the time, it’s 11:11?
The moments where things align at the exact same time always give me the chills. I start wondering, “What does this mean? Is this the universe trying to tell me something?”
Not because I think these moments are necessarily supernatural, but because they make life feel strangely connected in a way that’s hard to fully explain.
I think part of being human is constantly searching for meaning and patterns in the world around us. Maybe it’s how our brains are wired. Maybe it’s emotional connection. Maybe they’re just coincidences, or perhaps we simply want reassurance that life is a little less random than it sometimes feels.
But certain moments stick with you, especially when they happen during emotional periods of your life.
I remember going through difficult stretches mentally where even the smallest coincidence felt amplified. Like hearing a comforting song at exactly the right moment when you desperately needed to feel your emotions.
I remember when my great-aunt passed away around the holiday season. I wasn’t especially close to her, but she was the last of my grandma’s siblings to pass away. It brought back memories of family gatherings, traditions, and especially my grandparents. It hit me that the generation before us was slowly disappearing, and that time was moving forward whether we were ready for it or not.
I remember sitting in those emotions when my favorite Christmas song, “Happy Xmas (War Is Over)” sung by Celine Dion, came on the radio. To me, that song has always symbolized time, reflection, and commemorating the people who are no longer here. Even though the timing of it felt eerie in a way, it was also exactly what I needed in that moment. It gave me permission to feel, to cry, and to embrace the reality of things changing.
Some moments like that almost feel as if reality thins—for split a second. I think there’s something strangely existential about them too.
Sometimes I’ll be lying in bed at night overthinking life or sitting at the beach staring at the ocean for too long, and suddenly I become hyperaware that I’m alive at this exact moment in time. That everyone around me has their own inner world. That memories are constantly being created while other memories slowly fade away.
I’ve also noticed that nostalgia plays a huge role in these feelings for me.
There are certain smells, places, or random moments that instantly transport me emotionally. Sometimes I’ll smell my grandma’s perfume, a rare one they no longer make, and suddenly all these emotions resurface. I think about the happier, lighter parts of my childhood. Cooking with my grandma. Listening to her stories. Playing card games with her in Palm Springs.
Just small moments that remind me of simpler times.
Sometimes I’ll drive past a place I used to go years ago and feel this strange disconnect between who I was then and who I am now.
It sometimes feels unreal that we can live so many different versions of ourselves within one lifetime.
I think being neurodivergent probably intensifies these feelings for me too.
I’ve always been extremely observant and emotionally sensitive to little details that other people brush past without noticing. Tiny things stay with me for a really long time. Seasons. Specific lighting. The feeling of rain. The atmosphere of certain days. Things become emotionally attached to memories in my brain.
Because of that, I think I naturally overanalyze life a little more deeply than I probably should. But I also think there’s something beautiful about that too.
Life is supposed to feel mysterious sometimes.
It reminds us to stay curious. To pay attention. To notice the strange little moments that make us stop and feel connected to the world around us for a second.
I don’t know if moments like these actually “mean” anything.
Maybe they’re just coincidences.
Maybe they’re simply examples of how interconnected memory, emotion, and awareness really are.
But I do know that moments like this make life feel a little more alive to me.
~
Share on bsky

Read 0 comments and reply