Wednesday, 12 August 2026

Feeding my Addiction while Feeding Others: Confessions of a Cookbook Addict.

 


Need New Plant-based Food Ideas? Grab this Bundle of 60+ Cookbooks & Donate to World Central Kitchen at the Same Time!

I have a confession to make. 

I am a cookbook addict. 

There.

I said it. 

Am I ashamed? Not one tiny iota. 

We all have our passions, our hobbies, and our little “projects” that keep us up late, past our bedtimes. Mine happens to be cookbooks. Recipes. Actually, just food in general. 

I love the stories that come with food. The memories it makes. The fact that it brings people together even in moments of strife, or emotional turmoil. 

Cooking is my meditation, my comfort zone, my love language, but it’s also the place I get to push boundaries and try new things.

I was watching a TV show the other day (not about food) and one of the characters blurted out, “Food is life!” and I haven’t been able to get it out of my head. Because, it is. Food is where the heart lives, the mind wanders, and where the body survives.

Food is so much more than fuel. And I will die on that hill. 

Lately, I think the librarians at my local library must be questioning my own “story” because I currently have over 25 cookbooks checked out and I am reading them cover-to-cover like a stack of best-selling novels. I’m enjoying their descriptions. Learning from their data. Smiling at what I would do differently. In short? I’m studying these suckers. 

And I’m having the time of my life. 

I’m vegan, and I cook vegan foods for my family. They are welcome to eat and cook other foods, but there’s an understanding that if they want what I cook? It’ll be plant-based. 

I could dip into the reasons I’m vegan, or the benefits of a vegan lifestyle…but those articles are out there already. 

I want to share my love of cookbooks with you. 

Not only do I spend my spare time reading cookbooks, my phone history is filled with searches for odd food recipes or ideas. 

Case in point: I currently have over six pounds of sunflower seeds (it’s a long story that involves a recipe from one of the aforementioned cookbooks…). I’m looking for ways to use them. My phone would look bizarre to anyone who stole it. (Word to the wise.)

Anyhow, in my searching I stumbled upon something truly magical. 

Humble Bundle has partnered with publishers to offer 60+ digital plant-based and vegan cookbooks for a giant discount, and some of the proceeds go directly to World Central Kitchen. 

My jaw dropped. 

First, World Central Kitchen is a wonder. Truly. Founded in 2010 by José Andrés, it is a not-for-profit, non-governmental organization that provides food relief around the world, often in conflict zones that need it the most. 

Second, do you know how long it will take me to swipe through and read (and study) 61 cookbooks?

So you’re telling me that this is not just a good deal, this is an investment in my future joy, and it benefits one of my favorite charities on earth? 

Be still my beet-ing heart. (Get it?)

Humble Bundle offers “pay what you want” bundle pricing with a minimum price set and every  product sold contributes a portion of proceeds to charity. The coolest part? You can set the contribution amount and they have donated over $281,000,000 to charities since 2010. 

I’m not at all affiliated with Humble Bundle, World Central Kitchen, or any of these dozens of cookbooks. I’m just an enthusiast who is excited to do a good turn, while getting something out of it herself. 

This is #beingofbenefit in all the ways. 

I’ll be buying my bundle and working my way through it in my spare time. I hope you consider the same, and take a chance on a few new plant-based, vegan meal options in your weekly rotation! 

Check out the bundle for yourself, here. 

Bonus: I’ve already read Earthy Vegan Eats and found it to be a fun take on British cuisine, but Vegan YUM? I adore this cookbook and had planned to buy it anyway. And that’s only two on the list!

~


X

Read 1 comment and reply

Top Contributors Latest

Molly Murphy  |  Contribution: 150,080

author: Molly Murphy

Image: Author's Own

Image: Author's Own

No comments:

Post a Comment