Perhaps we’ve been aiming at the wrong thing all along.
Let’s clear something up.
Mary Poppins never claimed to be perfect. She claimed to be practically perfect. It’s one tiny word. Yet it completely changes the meaning. Because practically leaves room for muddy boots, burnt toast, difficult days, and second chances. Not sure about you but I need that grace!
Perfect leaves room for none of them.
Somehow we’ve remembered the talking umbrella, the carpet bag that defied physics, and Dick Van Dyke’s spectacularly confused Cockney accent in the original Disney movie. But we’ve largely overlooked what may have been the wisest line in the entire film.
“Practically perfect in every way.”
I wonder if Mary Poppins knew something we’ve forgotten.
We live in an age that quietly worships perfection while pretending it celebrates authenticity.
Scroll through social media for five minutes and you’ll find morning routines that begin before sunrise, colour-coded planners, immaculate homes, perfectly balanced meals (with just the right amount of protein), and people who apparently have enough emotional regulation to smile serenely through every inconvenience.
Our bookshelves promise the “best” version of ourselves. Our podcasts encourage optimisation. Our watches remind us we’ve stood up, but not enough.
We are forever measuring.
Improving.
Tracking.
Maximising.
It’s exhausting. No wonder so many of us finish each day feeling as though we’ve somehow fallen short, even when we’ve done remarkably well.
Mary Poppins would have none of it.
She never swept into Number Seventeen Cherry Tree Lane demanding perfection from the Banks family.
She didn’t arrive armed with a clipboard and a list of deficiencies. She observed first.
She understood what was really happening beneath the surface. A distracted father. A lonely mother. Children acting exactly as children do when they long to be seen. Only then did she begin to change things.
Not by making everyone flawless.
By making life healthier.
Kinder.
A little more joyful than it had been yesterday. That’s seems to me to be a very different goal.
Somewhere along the way we’ve confused success with completion.
“I’ll relax when…”
“I’ll be confident when…”
“I’ll finally feel good enough once…”
We keep moving the finish line.
Lose the weight.
Earn the promotion.
Write the book.
Declutter the house.
Learn the language.
Finally become the person we imagine everyone else already is.
Yet life isn’t a checklist. It’s a relationship. With ourselves. With others. And all the variety that brings. With the wonderfully untidy business of being alive.
Imagine judging a child the way many adults judge themselves.
“You tied your own shoelaces today? Lovely. Still took three attempts.”
“You learnt to ride your bike? Yes, but you wobbled.”
“You apologised after losing your temper? Unfortunately, you lost your temper in the first place.”
Absurd. Children grow because we celebrate movement. Adults often stop growing because we only celebrate arrival. The arrival of success.
Perhaps that’s why Mary Poppins has endured for generations. She expected people to become more than they currently were. But she never suggested they had to become someone else. There is compassion in that. And wisdom.
She didn’t shame the Banks family into changing.
She invited them.
Sometimes with humour.
Sometimes with exasperation.
Occasionally with a raised eyebrow that could probably stop a charging rhinoceros. But always with the quiet assumption that people are capable of becoming better. Not perfect. Better.
And better was enough.
I suspect that’s the standard worth borrowing. Not: Did I get everything right today? But:
Did I understand something I hadn’t understood before?
Did I repair something?
Did I make life a little easier for someone?
Did I leave one room, one conversation, one relationship, or one part of myself in slightly better shape than I found it?
Those questions move us forward.
Perfection simply keeps us standing still, afraid to make the wrong move.
These days perfection has become strangely performative.
We curate it.
Photograph it.
Announce it.
Package it into tidy little squares that disappear after twenty-four hours. Meanwhile, real life is happening somewhere off-camera. It’s happening in the apology that wasn’t eloquent but was sincere. The washing still sitting in the basket while you chose to listen to your teenager. The project that wasn’t flawless but finally made it into the world.
The courage to ask for help.
The decision to begin again.
Those moments rarely go viral. They are, however, where most of life is lived.
The older I become, the less interested I am in perfect people. They are difficult to trust. I’m far more drawn to people who are still becoming. People who change their minds. Who laugh at themselves. Who admit they were wrong. Who keep showing up despite their imperfections.
People who understand that character isn’t built by never making mistakes. It’s built by what happens next.
Maybe that was Mary Poppins’ real magic. Not that she floated in on the wind. Not that she could fit a lamp, a mirror, and a hat stand inside one carpet bag.
Her real magic was offering a gentler way to measure a life. One that asks not, “Have you achieved perfection?” But rather, “Did you bring a little more order to the chaos? A little more kindness to the day? A little more courage than yesterday?”
Because perhaps a good life isn’t built from perfect days at all. Perhaps it’s built from thousands of beautifully ordinary moments where we choose understanding over judgement, progress over performance, and compassion over impossible standards.
In a world constantly urging us to become more, Mary Poppins quietly whispers something far more liberating.
Be practically perfect.
Leave a little room for the glorious mess of being human. After all, that’s where the magic has been hiding all along.
~
Share on bsky

Read 0 comments and reply