Wednesday, 19 August 2026

The Shame of Not Belonging.

 


The Shame of Not Belonging

It is time
to release
the shame of not belonging.

The heavy weight of guilt.

Ancient chains
that were never real.

Captured by the illusion of safety.

Silent agreements made
to pretend everything is fine.

Covered with smiles,

Splenda,

and Costco runs.

But that much lettuce,
hidden in drawers,
will surely rot.

Throw it out.

Buy more.

More.

More.

The magic word you taught me
was please.

But all I ever saw
was more.

My questions,
sandwiched in Wonder Bread.

Why is everyone pretending to be

fine.

fine.

fine.

The Von Trapp family
playing their roles

as I played mine.

Until I could no longer stomach
another bologna sandwich with cheese.

So I disappeared.

Crying
for the lettuce
dying in the drawers.

It was too much.

Or…

was I too much?

I opened the door
to fill the void
with more.

The eggs fell.

Crack.

Someone politely cleaned up the mess.

Secrets

shoved into another Target run.

Crumbs leaving trails
of a story
I saw,

but could never give voice.

Play your part,
little girl.

A finger
pointed in my face.

Fangs inside,

tasting the blood
of no.

I dared not speak.

Your survival
is at stake.

But in my dreams

I knew there was something

more

that more
could never buy.

My shame grew
inside the silence
of not being seen.

Piles of clothes

that could never be washed
clean of the truth.

Clean
on the outside.

But I could still
smell the lies.

Every morning
I curled my hair,

playing the part
of perfection.

My growing rage—

constant friction

against a fuse.

Label:

Could explode
without warning.

Shots.

Control.

Stay small.

Your magic
is not real.

She brought
wildflowers.

“Get those weeds
out of here.”

Her wild heart

broke.

Alone.

Only the trees
and the animals knew.

She cried herself
to sleep.

With every rifle,

displeasure
unloaded.

She bled

in silence.

The fire
of her life force

hidden.

She became
the ghost
frozen in time.

A terrified,
tender heart

beat behind
her bedroom door—

the one she slammed

that no one
ever heard.

So she ate
another taquito,

four sauces,

trying to cover

the freeze

that always left

the aftertaste

of truth.

I had to stay.

But I was no longer there.

Watching the experiment

called

family.

The shame
of not belonging.

Born into a tribe

that did not honor

her colors.

So I tried

to build a fire.

To let them know—

I’m here.

Held down.

Limbs
waving no

until they went limp

beneath the force

of authority.

Lying in my bed,

left only

with tears

of false surrender.

It is not safe here.

To build a fire.

So I found

my good-girl clothes

and layered them back on.

Many times

I returned to this place,

wearing different colors,

different styles,

trying on versions

of myself

that might fit.

That might finally

belong.

Until this time.

I return

naked.

Nothing left

to hide behind.

Scarred hands

remain open.

This is who I am.

I offer

my meager essence

to the culture

of more.

The shame

of not belonging

meets me

at the door.

I am not fine.

Acceptance

swallows.

I do not belong here.

Red-hot grief.

No one hears it.

Because they are gone.

She lies

in the same bed

where she was once

held down,

praying

to the galaxy of stars

pressed into the ceiling

by her once-young fingers.

She lies bare

inside an ocean

of sadness,

held

by the intimacy

of wild hearts

who know

the ache

of not belonging.

Those who refuse

to bow

to the Amazon gods.

Who no longer seek safety

inside a cart

that never feels

full.

Click.

Crunch.

Gulp.

Watch.

Until there are

no more episodes.

Death

dances

into the season finale.

Here I am.

Watching.

Awake.

With my creature—

who wasn’t allowed

into the manicured places.

Wild things

make messes

we pretend

to control.

My family

left without me.

My heart

waves goodbye,

my own hands

soothing

the primal wails

they will never hear.

Animals

are not allowed

in tame places.

So I roar.

Not to be heard.

But for my soul

to remember.

You are not alone.

There are others.

Pieces thrown

into the fire

of conformity,

waiting

for the ones

unafraid

to enter.

The ring of fire

will cost your soul.

The one

that came here

to burn

with everything

money

cannot buy.

The shame

of not belonging

flows

through the veins

I call my own.

Rage,

returned to 

Love.

Remember

who you are.

She belongs

nowhere.

She belongs

everywhere.

The freedom

she came to find

can only be lived in

This step

called

Now.

She wipes

her tender cheeks

as her mother’s wind chimes

begin to speak—

stories

she may never understand,

yet somehow

knows

in her bones.

The hot sun

burns her down

one last time.

Hands

of belonging

Hold my own.

I am here.

Exhaling

peace.

My creature

beside me.

Our work here

is done.

The portal

closes.

The shame

of not belonging

rises

from the dark night

of the soul,

laughing wildly.

Naked.

Alone.

Whole.

Driving

toward freedom.

Not sure

where she’s going.

Only this—

She belongs to herself. 

A home 

That is not for sale. 

~


X

Read 2 comments and reply

Top Contributors Latest

Angela Meyer  |  Contribution: 28,100

author: Angela Meyers

Image: Alfin Necville/Wikimedia Commons

Editor: Molly Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment