View this post on Instagram
For a long time, I thought healing meant finding a purpose for my pain.
Whenever something difficult happened, I immediately started searching for the lesson. The meaning. The silver lining. I believed that if I suffered enough, I owed it to myself—and maybe to the world—to turn that suffering into something useful.
We are constantly surrounded by stories of people who transform their deepest wounds into missions.
Someone survives abuse and becomes an advocate.
Someone experiences loss and dedicates their life to helping others heal.
Someone overcomes adversity and turns it into a movement.
I admire those stories, I really do.
But somewhere along the way, I started believing they were the only acceptable ending.
That trauma needed a purpose. That pain needed a payoff. That healing wasn’t complete until I could point to some profound lesson and say, “This is why it happened.” or, “I am glad it happened. It has made me who I am today.”
The problem is that not every painful experience arrives with a life-changing revelation attached to it.
Some things are just painful.
Some people hurt us. Some relationships leave scars. Some losses never fully make sense.
And you know what? Maybe, that’s okay.
For years, I kept revisiting old wounds, trying to squeeze wisdom out of them. I treated healing like a project. If I couldn’t find meaning in what happened, I felt as though I had somehow failed to grow from it.
Eventually, I became exhausted.
Exhausted from trying to turn every heartbreak into a lesson. Exhausted from believing I needed to emerge from every struggle stronger, wiser, and more inspirational than before.
What if I didn’t want my pain to become my purpose? What if I just wanted my life back?
That question changed everything because I realized that healing isn’t always about transformation. Sometimes it’s about freedom.
Freedom from constantly identifying with what happened. Freedom from making my wounds the most interesting thing about me. Freedom from feeling responsible for turning suffering into something meaningful.
Trauma undoubtedly shapes us. It leaves fingerprints on the way we see ourselves and the world. But it doesn’t have to become our entire identity.
At some point, I had to stop asking, “How can I use this pain?” and start asking, “What else do I want for my life?”
Who am I beyond the heartbreak? Beyond the loss? Beyond the experiences that hurt me?
The answers weren’t dramatic.
They showed up in ordinary moments.
In laughing without guilt. In spending a day without replaying the past. In discovering interests that had nothing to do with healing. In realizing that I was allowed to be more than the things I had survived.
And honestly, I think we don’t talk enough about ordinary healing.
We celebrate dramatic transformations, but not the quiet victories:
The first peaceful relationship after years of chaos. The morning you wake up and your past isn’t the first thing on your mind. The moment you realize you have stopped blaming yourself.
Those moments may not look impressive from the outside, but they are often what healing really looks like. Not reinvention. Not enlightenment. Just freedom.
If your pain inspires you to help others, that’s beautiful. But I no longer believe that every wound needs to become a calling.
Sometimes the purpose of healing is simply to reclaim your life. To love again. To laugh again.
To build a future that isn’t organized around what hurt you.
Because healing is not a debt we repay by becoming inspirational.
Sometimes surviving is enough. Sometimes moving forward is enough. And sometimes the most powerful thing we can do is allow a painful chapter to remain exactly that—a chapter.
Not our purpose.
Not our identity.
Not our entire story.
~
Share on bsky
Read 0 comments and reply