Sunday, 23 August 2026

The Myth of the “Right Time”: Why our External World will Never Calm Down First.

 


I often fall for the “right time” trap.

In fact, I’ve lived inside that illusion for as long as I can remember.

It’s easy to fall into that trap because it feels so logical and right: when my outer world is busy, loud, or chaotic, I can’t focus on my internal world.

“I’ll start journaling once this week ends.”

“I’ll tackle that hard conversation at home after this busy week at work.”

“I’ll go back to therapy when life isn’t too overwhelming.”

We treat healing like an extra project—something we only do when life is calm and easy. But I’ve learned the hard way that if we wait for the mess to clear, we will wait forever.

I’ve recently realized the shift that needs to happen isn’t in our environment; it’s in our mindset.

We put our personal growth on pause and convince ourselves that peace arrives from the outside in. But stability in our external world is never permanent. Even when things feel happy, balanced, and predictable for a short time, life’s natural rhythm inevitably kicks in. Uncertainty re-enters. Surprises happen. Just when things start to settle, life throws something new at us.

In Buddhism, we recognize this constant impermanence as the foundation of existence. Life is full of ups and downs. Expecting ourselves to only make meaningful, internal changes during the “up” periods isn’t just unrealistic; it deprives us of the tools we need to survive the downs.

Real growth doesn’t require a quiet place. It requires us to go with the flow of life, learning to adapt whether things are smooth or stormy. We cannot pause our boundaries, freeze our healing, or delay our self-awareness until the discomfort ends. We don’t wait for the storm to pass before we decide to improve our relationships, commit to therapy, or finally make that hard life transition.

What actually needs to happen is much braver: we have to learn to walk through the discomfort while making those internal changes.

We don’t ignore the chaos, nor do we pretend it isn’t exhausting. Instead, we recognize it, make sense of it, and completely reframe what self-work means. Inner peace isn’t a reward for a calm life—it’s the anchor that keeps us grounded when life is anything but calm.

If you are waiting for your external world to settle down before you start tending to yourself, consider this your permission to stop waiting.

The “right time” is an illusion that will always stay out of our reach. Life will always offer another deadline, another transition, another period of uncertainty, and another reason to delay looking inward. But when we stop expecting our circumstances to change first, we reclaim our power.

Please know that we don’t need a quiet world to build a quiet mind. We just need to take one small, intentional step right where we are—right in the middle of the mess, without waiting for a single external thing to change first.

Now tell me, when are you going to create the “right time”?

~


X

Read 1 comment and reply

Top Contributors Latest

Elyane Youssef  |  Contribution: 407,840

author: Elyane Youssef

Image: Jessika Arraes/Pexels

No comments:

Post a Comment