View this post on Instagram
I have been attending a local exercise clinic for the past four years.
Two to three times a week, I show up for an hour of weight lifting, balance training, and cardio.
Occasionally, friends or neighbours will ask me:
How can you keep going so regularly?
How can you be so disciplined?
What’s the point of spending all that money each month?
What difference does it really make?
I have not considered quitting. I have fallen in love with moving my body and getting stronger. I am “addicted” to weight lifting. The heavier, the better! I feel empowered and energized as a result of my gym attendance.
Here are the reasons I am willing to “keep going”:
1. I have a powerful why.
I want to live a vibrant and active life for as long as I live.
I hear the phrases: “You are too old to lift that.” “It’s not safe to hike in rough terrain at your age.” “A woman in her 70s shouldn’t try that risky activity.” “You will get hurt if you do that.” I am choosing to flout the pressures of ageism that are so prevalent. I am not willing to be limited by the number of candles on my birthday cake. I know from my own experience that regular exercise is not dangerous. In fact, it is more risky for me to refrain from moving my body. Lack of balance leads to life-threatening falls. Decreased mobility means the risk of losing an independent life style. There are positive effects on brain and emotional health when people exercise regularly, and I am eager to do all that is within my control to reap these benefits.
2. I am not focused on discipline.
This may sound counterintuitive. Isn’t discipline necessary to continue anything on a regular basis? I grew up being told that discipline was integral to success in life. This brings up images of forcing myself to do something (even if I hate it), needing to push myself, or of having a whip at my back to keep me going even if I don’t want to. I no longer want to live my life under this type of oppression.
I now focus on devotion. I am motivated from within as I look at my goals and take steps to reach the image of what I desire. This includes physical, emotional, and spiritual health as well as creativity and vibrant relationships. All of these attributes will shine if I am devoted to taking steps to create beauty and meaning in these areas.
3. I am willing to have a beginner’s mindset as I learn new exercises.
I know that consistency will pay off and perfection is not my goal. My brain is challenged in a good way when I am faced with learning an unfamiliar task. Rather than shaming myself for being ignorant, I see the unknown program as a gift to my brain.
4. Regularity. Ritual. Routine. Repetition.
You may be thinking “how boring” as you read these words. Just the opposite is true for me. Over the years, I have realized the benefit of this approach in many areas of my life. Now I am applying it to my physical fitness program. It is not a popular concept to defer success. Immediate rewards and instant gratification are the name of the game for so many these days. I have learned that there is no quick result in the world of fitness training. I trust the process and my trainer’s advice, and I have seen results over the years. This keeps me engaged and encouraged as I continue on.
5. Exercise is a gift to me.
As I care for my health, it is also a gift to my family. I am envisioning myself as independent and strong well into my “older years.” I am a mentor to my grandchildren as they see me active and having fun hiking and cycling. I am investing in my future. I am also enjoying the pleasure of moving with ease in the present moment. Both are important.
6. Celebration is a huge part of my motivation.
Each step forward is a win. I enjoy the camaraderie of the men and women who are at the gym with me. Rather than being judgmental, we cheer each other on and accept the progress of each person as they go at their own pace. This respect and friendship is one of the unexpected bonuses of attending a gym in person for so many years. I look forward to a regular coffee date with a friend after our sessions. This connection builds a strong sense of community, which is a vital component of a healthy life. The company I keep fuels my desire to be active and continue with my program.
7. What about the financial cost as I invest in my fitness?
When someone asks me this, I respond by asking them: how much do you spend on medication, physiotherapy treatments, and other medical interventions? I tell them that I would rather spend money on prevention than treatment. Of course, attendance at a gym isn’t a magic bullet for all medical issues! At the same time, I am choosing to do all I can to take control of my health, and this is a big motivation for me.
I love the challenge of imagining my body doing more than I ever thought it could. My body has served me well over all these years, and I am honoured to thank it by caring for it through movement and play.
Thank you for reading my experiences of what commitment to my health looks like. I trust that you might be inspired to consider how you are investing in yourself to ensure a vibrant and joyful life.
~
Share on bsky
Read 2 comments and reply