View this post on Instagram
When I first suggested to my husband that I wanted to start therapy, he looked at me in total shock.
“You? Therapy? Are you sure you need it?”
Honestly, I couldn’t blame him. For the longest time, I didn’t think I needed it either.
Metaphorically speaking, I’ve always been everybody’s therapist. I’ve been my own therapist too. My mind possesses this innate ability to analyze problems, uncover their root causes, and fix them. Carrying my own weight (and quietly the weight of everyone around me) has been my default setting for as long as I can remember.
I also write self-help articles for a living. I get messages daily from readers asking for advice on their relationship issues, communication blocks, and personal life struggles. So, my husband’s reaction was completely understandable. Why would someone who always steps up, saves the day, and has all the answers need someone else to help them?
What most people don’t realize is that I didn’t choose therapy because something in my life was broken or because I needed someone to “fix” me.
Of course, I deeply recognize the immense benefits of therapy. For me, it is the ultimate emotional maintenance—a gym for the mind that I should have joined a long time ago. It is a dedicated space where I get to unpack generational traumas, break unhealthy cycles, and rewrite the scripts I inherited from my family.
I acknowledge all of those benefits and show up for those reasons too. But underneath all of that, there’s one honest reason I keep showing up to therapy every single week. I have spent my whole life being the caretaker, and I am finally honest enough with myself to admit that I need care too.
Even if I supposedly know the psychological theories, understand relational dynamics, and people trust me with their heaviest secrets, I am still human at the end of the day. Therapy is the one place where I am simply allowed to be human.
It is the one room where I don’t need to have all the answers—and where there is zero pressure to find them anyway. It is a temple where I can simply sit with the hard questions, rather than forcing myself to find immediate solutions.
Going to therapy doesn’t mean I’m failing to be strong; it’s the place where I have the permission to be weak.
That realization alone has been completely transformational. Therapy isn’t just an emergency room for major mental health crises or severe trauma. Therapy is where you drop your ego at the door and open yourself up to uncomfortable truths and gentle realizations. If more of us had the courage to step into that room without waiting for an emotional catastrophe, life would feel like a huge relief.
So many of us struggle deeply with vulnerability. We live in a world that constantly demands certainty, so saying “I don’t know” feels dangerous as it may demean our own value. Therapy is where we make the brave shift from the exhausting “know-it-all” mentality back to our true selves—a self that doesn’t have every single detail figured out.
In that space, we have full permission to be raw and authentic. We honor our past because it shaped the foundation of who we are today. There is no shame. There is no judgment. There is only you, holding the pen, rewriting the narrative of your life.
Leaning into the unknown and becoming comfortable with receiving care is a profound form of healing that we rarely talk about. We spend so much energy teaching people how to maintain their strength, build resilience, and remain brave, while forgetting the simplest truth of all: Sometimes, we find strength and courage in putting down the weight and asking for help.
At its core, therapy isn’t just to fix what’s broken; it’s releasing the assumption that we have to hold it all together by ourselves. It’s the one place where we’re not the heroes, the guides, or the answers. I am simply human, and that is more than enough.
~
author: Elyane Youssef
Image: oh_long_leslie/Instagram
Share on bsky
Read 0 comments and reply