View this post on Instagram
From someone who didn’t crash…but slowly faded.
The house I built out of purpose started to sag at the edges.
So did I.
I didn’t burn out in the usual way. No dramatic collapse. No public exit. Just a quiet kind of erosion.
One day, I realized the tools I’d been using to hold myself together weren’t working anymore. The breathwork. The journaling. The carefully curated rituals. All of it felt like trying to water a garden that had already gone dry.
I’m 55. I’ve spent the last 15 years writing, healing, producing, sharing. Building something steady out of words. But lately, even that feels brittle. I’m not sure if it’s depression, disillusionment, or just the slow ache of a nervous system that never really learned how to rest.
Maybe it’s all three.
What I know is this: I’m no longer interested in being inspiring.
I want to be real. I want to tell the truth about what it costs to always be “the one who holds it together.”
And what happens when you can’t anymore.
Midlife isn’t a Crisis: Maybe it’s a Threshold
They call it a crisis, like it’s a problem to be solved.
But what if midlife is something else entirely?
What if it’s the moment when the soul finally stops tolerating the roles it had to play to survive?
That’s where I am. Not falling apart, exactly…but peeling. Layers of identity, old ambitions, outdated dreams. Things that once gave me structure now feel like cages.
I don’t want to build a brand.
I don’t want to write another “value-packed” piece of content.
I don’t want to pretend I know the next right step.
Midlife has stripped me down to the bones of what feels real.
And the truth is, I don’t know what’s next. I just know I can’t keep doing what I’ve been doing, not in the same way. Not from the same place.
Carl Jung called it individuation, or the second half of life, when we’re called to become who we really are, not who we were taught to be.
But here’s what they don’t tell you: that process?
It’s not glamorous.
It’s not a glow-up.
It’s messy, aching, tender.
It’s grief and boredom and staring out the window wondering what the hell you’re supposed to do now that the hustle stopped making sense.
There’s no map for this part. Just a doorway.
And something inside whispering, “Don’t rush.”
I’m Not Who I Was, But I Don’t Know Who I’m Becoming Yet
There’s an ache in that space. A kind of disorientation that doesn’t come with answers, only questions.
I’m not who I was when I started this path—writing, healing, figuring it all out one journal entry at a time. That version of me could push through anything. She could create, produce, perform, even while quietly falling apart.
But now? The tools I once swore by feel tired in my hands.
Meditation doesn’t always soothe me.
Writing doesn’t always move the stuck energy.
Even my morning rituals feel like going through the motions.
And still, I’m not lost.
Just…between.
There’s this idea in the healing world that once you’re conscious, you should always know how to soothe yourself. That your nervous system will just magically recalibrate with enough breathwork, enough gratitude, enough inner child affirmations.
But what happens when you’ve done all the things, and the fog is still there?
What happens when your nervous system is still bracing for impact, even when nothing is coming?
That’s the part I’m trying to make peace with.
This liminal space. This pause.
Not rushing to fix it.
Not forcing clarity.
Just being honest about the fact that something in me is still holding on for dear life, while another part is quietly loosening its grip.
I don’t know who I’m becoming.
But I know I’m not going back.
I’m Building a Life that Doesn’t Abandon Me
Not a life that performs well.
Not a life that impresses.
Not even a life that makes perfect sense on paper.
Just one that feels like it can hold me, even on the days I can’t hold myself.
I used to think success meant finding a career that matched my passion.
But now I’m not sure if I even want a career.
I want peace.
I want mornings that don’t start with dread.
I want to stop proving I’m worth something just because I can push through pain.
For so long, I built a self that knew how to over-function. To show up. To stay strong. To get it done.
But underneath the resilience was a quiet, relentless fear:
That if I ever stopped hustling (for love, for identity, for certainty) I’d be forgotten.
So I worked. I created. I wrote.
Fifteen years of building something out of words. Of turning insight into offering. Of surviving by being useful.
And I don’t regret it.
But I’m tired.
Not just tired like “take a nap” tired. Tired in my soul.
Jung once said, “Thoroughly unprepared, we take the step into the afternoon of life.”
That’s where I am.
Midlife. Still holding the embers of who I used to be. Trying to light a fire that doesn’t burn me this time.
What Burnout Really Took From Me
Burnout didn’t arrive all at once. It wasn’t dramatic. There was no collapse, no big moment where I threw my hands in the air and said, “I’m done.”
It was slower than that. Quieter.
It moved in like fog, gently erasing the edges of things I used to love.
I kept working through it, because that’s what I knew how to do. I was still writing, still creating, still responding to people’s pain with thoughtfulness and care.
But underneath it, I was emptying out.
Not just of energy, but of identity.
The version of me that knew what she wanted, the one who felt clear, curious, full of something real—she started to fade.
And that’s the part no one tells you.
That burnout isn’t always about doing too much. It’s about the cost of doing things that no longer feel true.
The Nervous System as a Compass
These days, I don’t trust goals as much as I trust my breath.
I used to push through anything. Fatigue, tension, even dread—none of it mattered if the deadline loomed or the to-do list blinked accusingly from my planner. I could override my body with caffeine, willpower, or a false smile.
I thought that made me strong.
But now? Now I pay attention.
To the tightening in my jaw.
To the way my shoulders creep up to my ears.
To the impulse to scroll instead of feel.
These aren’t flaws.
They’re signals.
Invitations to pause.
Burnout taught me that my nervous system has been trying to speak to me for years. It speaks in sensation, not sentences.
Restlessness when I’m out of alignment.
Numbness when I’ve crossed a boundary.
Anxiety when I’ve said yes out of fear instead of truth.
Jung said, “Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”
My nervous system was fate for a long time.
Now, I check in with it before I check in with the world.
Maybe This is the Middle
I used to think I’d know when a chapter ended.
That clarity would come like thunder: loud, unmistakable, decisive.
But this feels more like a drift.
A slow erosion of what once fit.
A quiet refusal in my bones each time I try to force myself back into the life that used to feel aligned.
I haven’t had a big revelation.
No lightning bolt of purpose.
Just a deep inner knowing: I’m done hustling for worth. Done confusing output with identity. Done measuring my life in likes or productivity.
Jung said, “Healing is about becoming whole.”
So here I am: midlife and in-between.
No longer who I was.
Not yet sure who I’m becoming.
But maybe that’s enough for now.
Not a crisis.
Not a failure.
Just a sacred pause.
A whisper that says:
“Rest is still holy.
Your worth was never tied to your usefulness.
And even here, in the not-knowing,
You are already becoming.”
~
Share on bsky
Read 4 comments and reply