Now that I’m in my late 30s, I can safely say I have tried almost every self-help practice out there.
I was ready to try anything to “fix” myself.
The truth is, I spent years believing I was somehow broken. That belief came naturally after surviving hard things: painful breakups, failed friendships, personal mistakes, and deep heartbreaks. I saw myself as the victim and life as the slayer.
So, I kept trying harder. I built strict morning routines and even tried waking up at 4 a.m. just like we did during my Vipassana meditation retreat. I bought more books, tracked my habits, and felt guilty whenever I was too busy to meditate, reflect, or journal.
I truly believed that the next routine or book would be my savior. I thought that if I could just optimize my schedule, increase my spiritual practices, and fix my shortcomings, I would finally feel peaceful and complete.
However, adding more habits brought no real relief. Even after finishing a long meditation session or establishing a new routine, an undeniable feeling always returned: I was still missing something.
It took me a long time to realize that this emptiness was not a failure; it was the natural result of the self-help loop itself.
The trouble with the self-help movement is its quiet, core promises: it convinces us that we are broken.
Almost every book and practice delivers the same message: who you are today is not enough. So, we trick ourselves into believing, “Once I master this habit, I will feel calm. Once I heal this flaw, I will accept myself.”
As a result, we get stuck in a endless loop, constantly looking for the next big thing to fix us. But this approach fails because human beings are naturally dynamic and constantly changing. That ideal, “perfected” version of ourselves never actually arrives—the finish line just keeps moving.
You see, real growth doesn’t happen by treating ourselves like a broken project that needs repairing. It happens when we shift from self-correction to self-understanding.
The self-help industry makes billions of dollars because they know we are so hard on ourselves and so desperate to feel whole. They know we rush to wash away our uncomfortable emotions with another wellness habit.
But we can break this loop and approach self-help differently. Instead of asking, “What routine do I need to add to fix this flaw?” we need to start asking, “What is this emotion or pattern trying to tell me?”
When we replace the urgency to fix ourselves with simple curiosity, the self-help loop breaks. We stop collecting habits to heal our insecurities and start making conscious choices that genuinely nourish our life.
You are not broken, and feeling empty at times is completely normal. The cracks in our hearts are simply the natural outcome of living, loving, and making mistakes. They do not mean we need a full replacement. Self-help practices can act like a walking stick when we fall into a pothole—they can support us for a moment, but they aren’t the destination itself.
The real path is within. Growth is not about adding more rules to our daily life; it’s about dropping the belief that we were never broken in the first place.
author: Elyane Youssef
Image: Антон Жук/Pexels
Share on bsky

Read 0 comments and reply