When we speak of loneliness, we usually think of physical isolation—being completely on our own.
But there’s another kind of loneliness we rarely talk about: the internal kind. It’s a quiet emotional hunger screaming, “I need connection.”
I felt that loneliness the moment I gave birth. As soon as I heard my son’s first cries and they placed him on my chest, a huge wave of love washed over me. But with that love, a strange, sudden isolation began building inside me—one I couldn’t easily put into words.
No one prepares you for the deep, silent loneliness that early parenthood brings.
When you become a parent, your world is suddenly filled with constant noise. From crying spells and scattered toys to a small human who depends on you for survival, you’re almost never physically alone. That’s why this isolation feels so confusing. We can be holding our child in a room full of family and still feel completely disconnected.
Before having a child, my life belonged to me. I could have uninterrupted conversations, sleep when I was tired, work without distraction, and sit in silence whenever my body needed rest. When my son arrived, my daily routine was turned upside down. Life centered entirely on his needs, which quickly overshadowed my own identity, interests, and emotional space.
The loneliness grows when you realize how much your inner world has shifted while the rest of the world keeps moving at its own pace. Conversations with other adults start revolving around nap schedules, feeding habits, and milestones. You begin to deeply miss the person you were before parenthood.
What makes this worse is that we rarely have the courage to talk about it. We fear being judged or shamed. We worry people will think we don’t love our child, or that we are ungrateful for our family. So we stay quiet. We put on a brave face, scroll through social media, and assume every other parent has it figured out while we struggle in secret.
During my first year as a mother, I fought hard to bring back my old self and my old routines. It felt like swimming upstream against a powerful river. It took me nearly two years to realize that my loneliness was completely normal.
Feeling lonely as a parent doesn’t mean you’re doing a bad job, and it doesn’t mean you love your child any less.
It simply means you’re a human being who still needs adult connection, personal space, and an identity beyond being a caregiver.
Missing your old self is okay—after all, that was who you were for your entire life.
Three years into parenthood, the best advice I can share is to be patient with yourself. That overwhelming feeling of loneliness eventually fades, and you slowly build a new life from the ground up. In my case, I finally realized that I didn’t want my old self back. I was simply grieving her as a new version of me was being born.
To get through this transition, make sure you surround yourself with a solid support system. You don’t need a crowd; you just need one person who can look you in the eyes and say, “This is hard. It will pass.” Stay away from people who invalidate your feelings, shame you, or act like taking care of your own needs means you don’t love your child.
Parenthood brings a massive shift, especially for new mothers. Their bodies change, their sleep changes, and their entire identity changes. Give new parents grace; they’re doing the best they can.
~
author: Elyane Youssef
Image: Sarah Chai/Pexels
Share on bsky

Read 0 comments and reply