Children are naturally creative.
Watch any young child long enough and you will see the games invented from nothing, the colorful drawings, the imaginary worlds built on the living room floor. They do not need an audience. They do not need permission. They make things because creating comes naturally to them.
That impulse is one of the most quietly beautiful things about childhood.
But children grow up. Play changes. The games that once absorbed them for hours gradually lose their hold, and that is natural and part of growing up. I did not spend my teenage years building imaginary worlds on the floor either.
What I find myself wondering, watching my daughters move through this transition now, is whether something different is happening to their generation. Not because they are less creative. But because they are growing up in a world where every empty moment can be instantly filled. A notification, a video, a feed that refreshes before the last post has been fully seen. Boredom, which once was the quiet space where imagination had room to grow, barely gets a chance to breathe before something rushes in to fill it.
And I wonder: what happens to a child’s urge to make something when that space keeps disappearing?
I was lucky, although I did not understand it at the time. I carried a camera with me from my early teens. I simply loved taking photographs; I never thought of it as protecting my creativity or giving my curiosity somewhere to go.
It was only much later, during a challenging period of my life, that I understood how much that creative thread mattered. Photography gave me a reason to go outside, notice the world and lose myself in the quiet pleasure of creating just for the sake of it. That actually became a way to reconnect with myself.
And when I look at my daughters now, ten and twelve, curious and playful and still very much themselves, I feel something I did not expect to feel. Not just the ordinary parental worry about screens and scrolling. Something deeper than that.
As children naturally grow out of childhood play, what are we helping them grow into creating, or consuming?
This summer, my husband and I worked hard to keep our daughters creating. There was crochet on the table, bracelets half-finished, walks with a purpose. It worked. But it also took more encouraging than it once did, and that quiet effort told me something.
I can see the pull toward other people’s content becoming stronger as they get older. I am not interested in blaming anyone for that, least of all my daughters, or their friends, or this generation. I simply want to find ways to help them carry their creativity with them as they grow, and to understand earlier than I did just how much it can matter.
That is where mindful photography comes in. Not as a solution, and not because I want my daughters to become photographers. Simply because it is one of the most natural bridges I have found between childhood curiosity and the world around them.
No special equipment is needed. A phone camera is enough. What matters is not the device but the intention behind it.
Before we head outside, whether for a walk in nature, a stroll around the neighborhood, or any ordinary outing, I give them one small prompt for the walk.
Find something that makes you smile.
Look for your favorite color somewhere unexpected.
Notice one thing you would normally walk straight past.
When they find it, I encourage them to stay with it for a moment. Take a few photographs. Be curious, be playful, try a different angle, move a little closer, see what happens. There is no right result or perfect photo. The point is simply to look, and then capture something that grabbed their attention.
The joy of doing it together matters too. There is something about searching for the same thing side by side, comparing what we each found and laughing at the different choices we made. That feels like exactly the kind of time I want us to have.
I do not think we can stop children from growing up, or protect them from every pull of the modern world, or hand them back the hours of unstructured play that are naturally left behind. Nor should we try.
But I do think we can help them carry something forward. The curiosity. The pleasure of making something with their own hands and eyes. The knowledge that creativity is not something you leave behind in childhood. It is something you can come back to, at any age, whenever you need it most.
I hope children can grow up knowing that creativity is not something extra. It is something worth carrying with them, long after childhood is behind them.
~
Share on bsky

Read 0 comments and reply