Thursday 5 September 2024

It’s Up to Us: How to Create Intentional Peace in a World of Violence.

 


{*Did you know you can write on Elephant? Here’s how—big changes: How to Write & Make Money or at least Be of Benefit on Elephant. ~ Waylon}
~

The current state of our world is riddled with tragic, devastating, and horrific acts of hate, prejudice, and injustice.

We have a world of violence, internally toward ourselves and outwardly to others. These instances occur daily on personal, local, national, and global scales.

What we experience today didn’t start here and now with us; it is deeply rooted in a complex, interconnected web throughout generations of complicated histories. Intergenerational trauma and immense pain run deep through the bloodlines and DNA of families and communities. All our collective experiences have led us to this very moment in time.

People who have experienced trauma and hurts, without doing their inner healing work, continue the pattern of hurting people in small and large-scale ways; the cycle continues and perseveres with no end in sight.

That is, until now—until us.    

While I don’t have all the answers to the complex issues that plague our nation and our world, I firmly believe that “thoughts and prayers alone are insufficient to bring about change. While spiritual beliefs, awareness, and presence can be beneficial, they are not enough on their own.

Turning compassion into action by standing up for humanity, for all people, and moving the needle, bit by bit, leads to continuous forward momentum. Since we cannot effectively combat hate with more hate, we must meet “the other side” with compassion, empathy, and love. Even small acts of intentional kindness matter in a world of violence. No person is unimportant in the fight against hateful injustice. 

Imagine people banding together, entire communities helping others, stepping up to aid those in need in any way we can—through our unique skills, talents, interests, time, belongings, and even financial means. Imagine people taking a step to consider another person’s experiences and show compassion for them.  Imagine what would happen if we chose to be more loving and kind.

It is a choice. 

It’s also a blessing and a privilege (and sometimes an immensely challenging responsibility) to live in a country with a perceived system of freedom of speech and democratic process. While there are viewpoints I don’t agree with, as well as extreme views that I don’t share, I believe that silence is no longer an option, at least for me.

Possibly because of my education in psychology and my experience as a licensed therapist, I’ve cultivated a strong commitment to social justice and human rights. This perspective allows me to see more clearly who people truly are, as well as understand how their struggles and fears shape their lives and influence those around them. The more I open my eyes to see outwardly with clarity, the more pain I see in the world. I see through various lenses and understand different sides of a story.  

While I can comprehend the perspectives of both a perpetrator and a victim, it doesn’t mean I agree with or understand either fully. I have walked in the shoes of both roles during my time here on Earth, and I can see with some clarity the two sides of the same coin. Yes, sometimes I choose sides and other times I don’t. Overall, I stand on the side of humanity and believe that we need to turn our hurts into healing. 

I stand with all the people who haven’t asked for what is painfully unfolding in their lives, and I support people in their deep, inner work

It’s true, sometimes I want to bury my head in the sand because it’s too much to bear. The easy path is to turn a blind eye, but it’s crucial to remember and learn from history. If we think that something is only happening “over there,” or “it doesn’t affect me,” or “it won’t happen to me,” I believe we’re sorely mistaken. Troubled pasts do not need to perpetuate the societal patterns that we fear. The anxieties of the future do not need to play out in unfathomable ways. 

Simply as a human being on this Earth, I cannot turn away or be quiet and small anymore. I cannot pretend to not see the pain in the world when it presents itself to me on a daily basis. I stand with all the people who carry pain in their hearts and are taking intentional action for peace and healing, deep within and outwardly. 

Because we all have an impact on our intimate circles, and the ripple effect can be infinitely powerful, we can no longer remain small, thinking “My voice doesn’t matter” or “Who am I to speak up?”  

As a call to action, advocating for intentional peace and healing in a world filled with violence and suffering, and the importance of compassion, empathy, and small acts of kindness can and will create a ripple effect that can lead to meaningful change. The interconnectedness of generational trauma and the need for inner healing work provides a profound insight into the roots of violence and the potential for transformation.

As we live in a world of unjust violence, I encourage each of us to be intentional in creating peace in our heart, our communities, and the world. Intentional peace in a world of violence will shift our trajectory for lifetimes to come. 

~


X

This account does not have permission to comment on Elephant Journal.
Contact support with questions.

Top Contributors Latest

Joanna Barrett  |  Contribution: 2,135

author: Joanna Barrett

Image: Khoa Võ/Pexels

Editor: Nicole Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment