Friday 13 September 2024

Decoding Anxiety: Recognizing Hidden Signs & a Simple Hack to R.I.S.E. Above.

 


 

View this post on Instagram

 

{*Did you know you can write on Elephant? Here’s how—big changes: How to Write & Make Money or at least Be of Benefit on Elephant. ~ Waylon}

~

*Editor’s Note: Elephant is not your doctor or hospital. Our lawyers would say “this web site is not designed to, and should not be construed to provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, or treatment to you or any other individual, and is not intended as a substitute for medical or professional care and treatment. Always consult a health professional before trying out new home therapies or changing your diet.” But we can’t afford lawyers, and you knew all that. ~ Ed

~

I’m a bio-hacking enthusiast who thrives on optimizing every aspect of my well-being.

I love integrating BrainTap into my daily routine, staying up-to-date with the latest advancements in health technology, and wearing a fitness ring that provides me with data I geek out on—like my HRV and stress levels.

I feel a sincere sense of delight and reward when my VO2 max number reveals that my cardiovascular age is younger than my actual years! I appreciate the data, the insights, and how they have helped me manage stress.

And yet, even with all this high-tech precision, I still find myself grappling with a different kind of data—my body’s subtle signs of anxiety.

Despite the advanced tools at my disposal, anxiety can manifest in unexpected and hidden ways, constantly reminding me that there’s more to understanding my well-being than simply the metrics. And right when I think I have it all covered, I get another lesson in anxiety management.

Recently, I attended an event with my easygoing husband, an all-around happy-go-lucky guy. Knowing I can often lead with anxiety at such functions, I called him in ahead of time, asking for a little more support and a bit more softness. I have learned it helps to plan ahead and ask for what I need.

I could feel the anticipation leading up to the event build, though I have many tools in my toolbox, and I thought I would be just fine.

Then, on the day of, I could feel the excitement and noise around me quickly transform into an overwhelming sensory overload. My heart raced uncontrollably, my palms became slightly clammy, and a tight knot settled between my shoulder blades. Every breath felt shallow as if a weight was pressing down on my ribcage.

Amidst the heat from the bright, lit sun beaming down on me, and lively conversations, my world seemed to be closing in on me despite being in the open air. My internal struggle magnified an immediate stark reminder: even with cutting-edge tools and strategies, anxiety can manifest in unexpected and hidden ways.

And it does just that.

Anxiety hides in plain sight, showing up in ways not always obvious. When we learn to listen, however, anxiety can be more than just a source of discomfort—it can be a powerful guide, pointing us toward what truly needs our attention.

Here are some hidden signs of anxiety I have noticed and what they might be trying to say:

1. Perfectionism: Perfectionism might seem like a drive for excellence, but it often masks a deep-seated fear of failure or criticism. If you find yourself stuck in an endless loop of tweaking, refining, or searching for that perfect outcome, it’s likely your anxiety is urging you to release control and accept that good enough is truly enough.

2. Overthinking Conversations: Another way anxiety shows up is by replaying conversations in our heads, dissecting every word, and worrying about how we are perceived. Perhaps this is an invitation to practice self-compassion and let go of the need for external validation.

3. Physical Tension: Chronic muscle tension, especially in the neck, shoulders, or jaw, can be a physical manifestation of anxiety. It’s our body’s way of holding onto stress. When we notice this, using stretching, deep breathing, and conscious relaxation in those tense areas can bring relief.

4. Avoidance Behavior: Avoiding certain situations or tasks is anxiety’s way of protecting us from discomfort. While this may seem like a natural response, avoidance only feeds anxiety. Recognizing this pattern is a call to face what we’re avoiding, even if it’s one small step at a time.

5. Digestive Issues: Our guts are often referred to as our second brain, and anxiety loves to show up there. Unexplained digestive issues could be anxiety telling us that something in our life is “hard to stomach”—quite literally. Take this as a nudge to explore what’s not sitting well emotionally.

6. Irritability: When we feel unusually irritable or snap at others, it could be anxiety simmering beneath the surface, signaling that we’re overwhelmed and need to carve out time for self-care and relaxation.

7. Sleep Disturbances: Difficulty falling asleep, frequent waking, or restless nights are classic signs of anxiety, as our minds may be struggling with worry. I now view this as a signal to create a calming bedtime routine, using techniques like BrainTap or journaling my thoughts before bed.

8. Excessive Planning or Lists: Anxiety often drives us to over-plan and create endless lists. While this can give a sense of control, it’s also anxiety’s way of telling us that we might be overextending ourselves. The message here is to simplify and focus on what truly matters.

9. Indecisiveness: Struggling to make decisions, even about trivial things, is anxiety’s way of highlighting our fear of making the wrong choice. This is a call to trust our intuition and remind ourselves that most decisions are not as monumental as they may seem.

10. Hypervigilance: Being overly aware of our surroundings or constantly scanning for potential threats can be a sign of anxiety rooted in past trauma. This is anxiety urging us to work through those past experiences and find a sense of safety in the present.

One technique I’ve found particularly helpful in managing anxiety is aligning with the Moon’s phases. The Moon’s cycle offers a natural rhythm to help us tune into our emotional ebbs and flows.

Here’s a quick guide to using the moon phases for relief, and helping you to RISE up and beyond the anxiety. Here’s an acronym for R.I.S.E. to help you remember how to use the moon phases for anxiety relief:

>>Rest and Reflect (New Moon): This phase invites us to rest, reflect, and set intentions. It’s a great time to keep mostly to ourselves, embracing calming practices like deep breathing, meditation, and quiet introspection. We might find that solitude helps recharge our minds and bodies, free from external distractions. If social interactions are necessary, we can plan ahead to allow for some quiet time, just in case.

>> Initiate with Intention (Waxing Moon): As the energy begins to build, we might start new projects and gradually ease into action. While the pace remains gentle, it could be a good moment to slowly reintroduce more interaction into our lives as the cycle progresses. This phase can be a chance to purposefully address any emerging anxieties and gently step back into socialization.

>> Socialize and Shine (Full Moon): The Full Moon feels right for social activities and facing challenges head-on. We might feel more inclined to engage with others, plan events, or take the lead in group settings. This heightened energy can be channeled into productive actions, helping us connect more deeply with those around us.

>> Embrace Release (Waning Moon): As the energy wanes, we might focus on letting go of perfectionism, fears, and tension. This phase could encourage us to simplify our lives, perhaps reducing social commitments and prioritizing some well-deserved personal time. It’s a natural period for winding down, letting go of what no longer serves us, and preparing for a return to a quieter, more reflective state.

By syncing with the Moon, I’ve found a natural way to manage my anxiety, using its energy to guide my actions and emotions.

Ultimately, anxiety is not an enemy but a messenger that provides valuable insights into our needs and feelings. By recognizing its hidden signs and using tools like lunar alignment, we can turn anxiety into an ally toward greater self-awareness and peace.

If you choose to use it, I would love to hear how it goes! I’m sending you love for some anti-anxiety moon-whispering!

~


X

This account does not have permission to comment on Elephant Journal.
Contact support with questions.

Top Contributors Latest

Gina Nicole Ballard  |  Contribution: 107,155

author: Gina Nicole Ballard

Image: giuliajrosa/instagram

Editor: Lisa Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment