Tuesday, 15 September 2026

Fighting our Past: How Old Wounds Hijack Present Love.

 


My relationship with my husband is far from perfect (thank goodness for that).

We have our share of ups and downs. Even when the low periods feel horrible, the path back up is always filled with growth and real awakenings.

No matter how many days an argument may take to resolve, my husband and I almost always land on the same page at the end:

We weren’t really fighting each other; we were fighting the shadows of our pasts.

Beyond resolving the current issue, we tend to trace our reactions back in time to the specific memories that hijacked us in that moment. We are constantly shocked by what we discover. Every single time, we prove to ourselves that our reactions were secretly driven by an old force far stronger than the present moment.

At least now, we recognize what’s happening. So many couples wear a blindfold, completely unaware of this pattern. They argue over trivial things, navigating the exact same conflicts until the relationship breaks apart or ends in divorce. They never learn how to repair the ruptures because they never understand where those ruptures are rooted.

There’s a fine line between fighting over what’s happening right now and fighting an unhealed childhood wound. What most of us fail to see is how little control we have over an intense argument when we operate on autopilot. We think we are debating socks on the floor or a cold text message. In reality, we are reacting to a pain that existed long before we ever met our partner.

In childhood, we all developed specific survival mechanisms to keep ourselves safe. As adults, the moment a current disagreement feels threatening, we automatically default back to those exact defenses. We rarely notice that our intense trigger has less to do with our partner’s action and much more to do with an old, reactivated fear.

Shutting down, for instance, is often an automatic defense against feeling overwhelmed, criticized, or controlled as a child. However, the urge to pursue, demand quick answers, or fix things immediately is a defense against abandonment or inconsistent love.

So, how can we tell if an argument is a present-day issue or an old shadow coming to life? The clearest sign is repetition: when an old wound is reactivated, we revert to the exact same mental story. No matter what started the fight, the underlying belief remains the same.

Some of these false core beliefs include:

“If I make a mistake, my partner will leave.”

“My partner doesn’t really love me.”

“I can’t trust my partner.”

“I’m always alone.”

“I have no support.”

“My partner doesn’t care about me.”

“My partner is selfish.”

“I can’t be vulnerable; vulnerability is a threat to my safety.”

“Love should be easy.”

While many false narratives can surface during a conflict, these are the ones that tend to show up most often.

Real intimacy begins when we stop getting stuck in attack mode and start prioritizing the communication of our triggers. When a disagreement breaks out, attacking our partner or defending our ego only feeds the shadow.

Instead of pointing fingers at what the other person did wrong, the real work is having the courage to say, “I’m panicking right now because my old fear of being abandoned just got triggered,” or, “I’m shutting down because I feel overwhelmed, just like I used to feel as a kid.”

When we share the trigger behind the anger, we give our partner a chance to understand our pain rather than fight us. A relationship doesn’t heal when someone wins the argument; it heals when both partners drop their weapons, reveal their old wounds, and choose connection over being right.


X

Read 0 comments and reply

Top Contributors Latest

Elyane Youssef  |  Contribution: 418,670

author: Elyane Youssef

Image: Artem Korsakov/Pexels

No comments:

Post a Comment