View this post on Instagram
I usually make my brownies with sweet potatoes.
Two days ago, however, I decided to switch things up and swapped the sweet potato for peanut butter.
I immediately regretted it. The peanut butter made the batter so dense that I spent over 20 minutes trying to spread it into the tray. That frustrating, stubborn batter was my first arrow.
But instead of letting it go, my mind turned a minor kitchen mistake into an existential crisis. I spent the next hour worrying if it would bake properly or taste terrible. That anxious loop was me shooting the second arrow.
Well, that’s life. It has a way of throwing unexpected challenges at us. A sudden disagreement, a delay, a burnt dinner, or an unanswered text can instantly shift our mood. But if we pay close attention, the original event is rarely what causes us distress. What truly hurts us is everything we build internally.
In Buddhist philosophy, there’s a famous teaching known as “The Parable of the Two Arrows.” Buddha asked his students a simple question, “If a person is struck by an arrow, does it hurt?” The answer was yes. Then he asked, “If that person is immediately struck by a second arrow in the exact same spot, does it hurt even more?” Again, the answer was obvious.
This Buddhist parable explains that the first arrow represents the physical or emotional pain that life inevitably shoots at us. It’s the loss, the mistake, the bad news, or the unexpected, bad day. This first arrow is entirely out of our control. Pain is a natural, unavoidable part of being human.
The second arrow, however, is our reaction to the pain. It’s the story we tell ourselves—the self-criticism, the anger, the anxiety, and the catastrophic thinking that follows. The first arrow is what happened; the second arrow is the story we tell ourselves about what happened.
Most of our daily suffering doesn’t come from the first arrow; it comes from the hundreds of second arrows we shoot at ourselves throughout the day.
For instance, someone cuts us off while we’re driving in traffic. That moment is the first arrow. It’s uncomfortable, but it passes in a few seconds. The second arrow comes when we spend the next 30 minutes repeating angry arguments in our head, letting a minor incident ruin our entire morning. The driver didn’t ruin our morning; our second arrow did.
We do this every single day in our relationships and personal lives. Our partner forgets a small task, and instead of letting it go, we shoot a second arrow, “They never listen.” A work project fails, and we shoot another, “I’m incompetent.”
The beauty of understanding this Buddhist parable is realizing that while we can’t dodge every first arrow life throws our way, the second arrow is completely optional.
Building true mental peace begins with noticing the exact moment the second arrow leaves the (mental) bow. It starts with taking a five-second pause when something goes wrong and asking ourselves a simple question, “Am I feeling the pain of what actually happened, or am I suffering from the story I’m telling myself right now?”
When we learn to drop the second arrow, we stop turning minor bumps into major crises. We allow the initial pain to exist without adding guilt, panic, anxiety, or resentment to it. We accept that life has its share of unpredictable moments, but we no longer have to participate in our own suffering.
~
author: Elyane Youssef
Image: _minimalista/Instagram
Share on bsky
Read 4 comments and reply