Wednesday, 16 September 2026

I Finally Understood Why I Found Yoga.

 


On the back of a motorcycle on the way to Bayfield, Wisconsin, I said a quiet prayer.

“Please let me know if I should keep trying or let go.”

I had spent years questioning things that didn’t feel right in my marriage. Years having difficult conversations. Years hoping that love, patience, and effort might somehow be enough to change what I could feel slipping away.

At that point, I wasn’t asking for my marriage to be saved.

I was asking for clarity.

I didn’t know it at the time, but the answer was already on its way.

A phone call during that trip set off a chain of events that would end my 20-year marriage and completely change the course of my life.

The specific details belong to a painful chapter I no longer need to retell. What matters is that the life I thought I had disappeared almost overnight.

There was fear.

There was grief.

There was the disorienting realization that the future I had imagined was no longer mine.

And eventually, there was freedom.

In those first days, I reached for the people who had always made me feel safe. My parents showed up in every way possible. They listened. They cried beside me. My mom stayed with me for a month. Together, we cleaned out the house, organized a garage sale, and prepared for an entirely different future.

Looking back, I don’t know how I would have made it through that season without them.

But even with their love surrounding me, there were parts of the experience I had to move through alone: the questions, the sadness, the anger, and the slow work of learning to trust myself again.

For years, I had sensed that something wasn’t right. When the marriage ended, I thought clarity would restore my confidence in my own instincts.

Instead, I found myself questioning them in a new way.

Was I sensing something real?

Or was I reacting to an old wound?

Was it intuition?

Or fear?

Thankfully, I had yoga.

Not because yoga fixed my life.

Not because yoga erased the pain.

But because yoga had already been teaching me skills I didn’t know I would need.

I began my 200-hour teacher training in 2010 and completed my 500-hour training in 2014. At the time, I thought I was simply learning yoga.

Looking back now, I realize I was building a foundation.

Yoga taught me how to sit with discomfort without immediately trying to escape it.

It taught me how to breathe when my thoughts raced ahead into every frightening possibility.

It taught me to return to the present moment when uncertainty felt unbearable.

On the mat, I had practiced noticing sensation without letting it become my entire identity. I could feel strain and still soften around it. I could lose my balance and begin again. I could be uncomfortable without believing I was broken.

Those lessons became more than ideas. They became the way I moved through each day.

When grief tightened my chest, I breathed into it.

When my mind demanded answers I didn’t have, I returned to what was actually in front of me.

When I wanted to rush the healing, yoga reminded me that forcing something rarely creates ease.

And perhaps most importantly, yoga helped me understand that I did not have to take another person’s choices personally.

My 500-hour teacher training was rooted in The Four Agreements, and one of those agreements—don’t take anything personally—became an anchor throughout this journey.

That teaching did not mean pretending I wasn’t hurt or excusing what had happened. It meant learning that another person’s actions came from their own choices, struggles, and story. They were not a reflection of my worth.

Eventually, I realized something that changed everything:

What happened affected me.

It hurt me.

It changed my life.

But it did not define my worth.

That realization freed me.

Not immediately.

Not all at once.

But slowly.

One room at a time.

One box at a time.

One decision at a time.

I found myself dismantling an entire life, and some days I could only handle one room.

One night, frustrated and exhausted, I walked outside and threw a lantern against a fence.

It shattered into a million pieces.

And honestly, it felt amazing—even if I did wake up a few neighbors.

There was something honest in that moment. Healing wasn’t always calm breathing and graceful acceptance. Sometimes it was anger finally given somewhere safe to land. Sometimes it was admitting that I was heartbroken and deeply disappointed in my spouse. Sometimes it was clearing a shelf, filling a box, or letting go of another object tied to a life that no longer existed.

With every small act, I made a little more room for what came next.

People often assume freedom feels joyful.

Sometimes it does.

But sometimes freedom feels surprisingly quiet.

Sometimes it feels like standing in an almost empty house after a garage sale and realizing you aren’t grieving the possessions. You’re grieving the future you thought you were going to have while simultaneously stepping toward a future that finally belongs to you.

Yoga gave me the ability to hold both truths at once.

I could grieve what had ended and feel grateful for what was beginning.

I could still care about someone and stop carrying responsibility for choices that were never mine to control.

I could feel compassion without confusing it with rescue.

Looking back, I realize the greatest gift yoga gave me wasn’t flexibility, strength, or even peace.

It was perspective.

Yoga did not ask me to pretend the pain wasn’t there. It taught me how to be present with it without letting it become the whole story.

It taught me that letting go is not the same as giving up.

It taught me that healing begins when we stop carrying what was never ours to carry.

For years, I wondered why I felt so called to yoga.

Then life answered the question.

The answer came during one of the hardest seasons of my life.

The answer came after a prayer whispered on a motorcycle ride to Bayfield.

The answer came when I finally understood that yoga hadn’t entered my life to prevent the storm.

It had entered my life years earlier to teach me how to walk through it.

~


X

Read 0 comments and reply

Top Contributors Latest

Stacy VanOrnum  |  Contribution: 3,330

author: Stacy VanOrnum

Image: Adem Albayrak/Pexels

Editor: Lisa Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment