Friday, 25 September 2026

If a Man Tells You His Ex-Girlfriend is Crazy, Believe Him.

 


I cried.

I stayed.

I became resentful.

I raised my voice.

I called too many times.

I demanded reassurance.

I doubted my own memory.

I became suspicious of everything.

I sought information from mutual friends.

I apologized for things that weren’t mine to apologize for.

I searched phones and social media for confirmation of what I already knew.

I asked the same questions until they sounded obsessive because every answer changed.

I begged someone to love me who had already decided I was too difficult to keep.

 

I was hard to love.

 

But stories are funny that way,

they almost always begin where they’re most convenient to tell.

 

I checked his phone

because I had already found messages,

because every instinct I ignored had eventually become evidence,

because trust had become a luxury instead of a foundation.

 

I was jealous

because comparison had been weaponized,

because affection became unpredictable,

because stability disappeared one tiny compromise at a time.

 

I apologized

because keeping the peace felt safer than being right,

because every disagreement eventually became my fault,

because eventually I apologized before I even knew what I was apologizing for.

 

I stopped trusting myself

because every conversation ended with a different version of what had happened,

because certainty became something I borrowed from other people,

because eventually I believed his memory before my own.

 

I stayed

because hope is louder than hindsight,

because every good day felt like proof the bad ones were over,

because leaving someone you love is harder than leaving someone who has hurt you,

because even to this day a small part of me wishes things were different.

 

Today he says he loves you.

Tomorrow he isn’t sure.

You find proof.

Now the proof is the problem.

You become a detective because reality keeps moving.

From the outside, the detective looks obsessive.

From the inside, she’s trying to figure out whether the floor is actually there.

 

There were nights he wasn’t lying.

I checked anyway.

Sometimes I accused him before I had evidence.

Not every suspicion was correct.

Sometimes I apologized,

even if I wasn’t sorry.

Living that way teaches you to confuse possibility with certainty.

Once trust is broken often enough, every silence begins to sound like another omission.

 

“That never happened.”

“You always overreact.”

“You’re imagining things.”

“You’ve always been jealous.”

Eventually, the relationship stops being about love and becomes about verification.

He says I screamed.

He doesn’t mention the years I spent learning that speaking softly accomplished nothing.

I wish I could tell you I screamed the first time.

I didn’t.

I spent years becoming someone who believed calmness would finally make me understandable.

It never worked.

Neither did the hysteria that came later.

 

So,

If a man tells you his ex-girlfriend is crazy, you should believe him.

But then ask him what she was like years earlier.

Ask him who she was before she met him.

Ask him where the story begins.

 

The problem was never that he called me crazy.

The problem was that everyone assumed he was describing the beginning of the story instead of the end.

If someone needs to convince you their ex was crazy before you’ve met her, they’re telling you something important.

It may not be about her.

You should believe him.

Believe that I became someone I barely recognized.

Believe that I searched for proof because I’d been taught my memory couldn’t be trusted.

Believe that I apologized until I couldn’t tell the difference between guilt and survival.

Believe that I was impossible to love by the end.

But if you’re going to believe him,
please don’t stop the story there,

Ask what happened before I became the woman he warns you about.

~


X

Read 2 comments and reply

Top Contributors Latest

Laura Blackard  |  Contribution: 4,270

author: Laura Blackard

Image: Sueda Dilli/Pexels

Editor: Molly Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment