View this post on Instagram
We tell ourselves we are too busy.
We say we are “just living life,” managing the days, keeping our heads above water.
But are we really living? Or are we just surviving under the distraction of constant motion?
For a long time, I mistook busyness and chasing achievements for the actual work of living. I had convinced myself that if I could just earn the next title, finish the next degree, or prove myself to the people who misunderstood me, I would finally be safe enough to rest.
I grew up in a five-generation family of farmers and blue-collar workers, and my creative spirit was treated like some kind of loud disruption. I spent my youth trapped in an exhausting loop—believing I had to perform, achieve, and shrink just to earn basic love. I blamed my family for keeping me small.
So, I ran.
I threw myself into the endless pursuit of the next goalpost. I went to undergraduate school, and then graduate school, collecting medical credentials like body armor, desperately convincing myself that if I just kept striving, the shadow of my past wounds would disappear.
It wasn’t until after my father passed that I finally stopped running long enough to see the truth.
Hanging over the sofa in my childhood living room was a massive, breathtaking painting of the family pond. My dad had painted it. In quiet corners of his life, he built master-level cabinetry, tied delicate fishing lures, and shaped arrowheads out of raw flint.
My father was a hidden artist.
But at nineteen, bound by duty and small-town expectations, he was told he had to stay on the farm. He surrendered his creative soul to fulfill a script he didn’t write, living and dying in a world that had no language for his gifts.
For a long time, I carried anger for both of us. But true healing arrived the moment I dropped the distraction of striving and looked at my past through the quiet compassion of an adult.
I learned that my family didn’t crush my spirit out of malice; they were simply speaking the only dialect of survival they were ever taught. Expecting a family of farmers to intuitively understand a sensitive, artistic child is like asking someone to read a map in a language they’ve never seen.
When you realize someone was never handed the dictionary to your language, you stop waiting for them to translate your worth.
You stop wishing your story was different.
We waste so much precious energy longing for a cleaner past, a softer childhood, or a lineage free of pain. But our stories are born directly from hardship. When you walk through a fire, the ultimate gift isn’t just surviving it—it is extracting the wisdom hidden in the ashes.
The experience becomes the story, and the story reveals the lesson.
Look closely at the people you admire most—the leaders, writers, healers, and guides who move your soul. They do not have perfect lives. They were not handed seamless blueprints. They are extraordinary precisely because they were forged in the crucible of real, messy human suffering and had the courage to extract the lesson.
We spend years hiding our broken pieces, convinced they make us flawed. But the very story you are trying to hide might be the exact words someone else is praying to hear today.
Somewhere, someone is sitting in the dark of their own challenge, feeling completely isolated, waiting for a voice that sounds like yours to whisper, “I’ve been there too. You can survive this.”
Our stories do not just heal us. They create shelter for others. They give people permission to lay down a burden that was never theirs to carry, to step out of a cage they were never meant to inhabit, and to trust their own unlived purpose.
I am done using achievement as a distraction from living.
I am done measuring my light by the darkness of the room I grew up in, and I am done leaving my art on the farm.
Stop waiting for a clean history before you step into your purpose. Stop believing that your scars make you unprepared.
The life that you thought disqualified you, just might be the exact life that qualified you to lead.
It’s not easy to look back at your past, put down the blame, and own your scars…but it is the only way to finally pick up the pen, write your truth, and give someone else the permission to set themselves free.
~
Share on bsky
Read 2 comments and reply