Wednesday 20 September 2017

The Value of Service

My sponsor has done service at the four levels of the program. While he never advised or urged me to do service I saw how good it was for him and made service at all levels of CoDA part of my recovery. I came into program a frightened guy hiding in isolation who avoided meaningful social interaction. Service gives me the opportunity to take contrary action. I have heard it said, service is a safe place to practice healthy relationships. I believe that is true. Like the real world doing service in CoDA gives me the chance to interact with people like me: damaged, broken, addicts and codependents. I can run and hide or try out detachment and letting go. I can’t count the number of Step 10 amends service has provided me. How I can practice feeling resentment and “Who do you think you are.” Which is my delusion of entitlement. I learned I can do service imperfectly which is contrary action from my life limiting perfectionism. For me service has been practicin g healthy relationships with training wheels. It is a good thing I did not wait to be recovered before undertaking service. I would still be hiding in isolation.


Don B. – 8/28/17

No comments:

Post a Comment