Monday 21 June 2021

Statistics

 


"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

I used to hide behind anything-even statistics. This expanded my ego and kept me sick. Numbers confused issues by making everything complicated. In the field of alcoholism, statistics are important for comparison and research, but they are no substitute for rigorous honesty based on personal experience. Statistics alone cannot stop a person from drinking, but sharing about personal suffering and victory produces identification that can lead to change. As a recovering alcoholic, I need to know the statistics concerning my disease, but I also need to know today's recovery is based upon yesterday's honest sharing.

Let me always see the faces behind the numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment