Friday 29 January 2016

Forgiveness


May I mindfully acknowledge that others, like myself, are still growing spiritually, and forgive their past offenses, as I forgive my own, so I can know the blessings of a loving heart. - Jean Smith

Over the years many of us have accumulated resentments that we might not even remember. They don't surface unless something triggers the incident that caused the resentment. The more we hold on to these memories, the more blocked we are from feeling joy. Once we realize resentments do us more harm than the person or situation that we resent, we can pray for the willingness to let go. Thich Nhat Hanh illustrates this very well when he gives the following example: Imagine you are going to throw a hot, burning coal at someone with whom you are angry. Imagine what that coal is doing to your hand! Why not make a general intention to be free from all resentments! Make a clean slate and forgive everyone, including ourselves.

It feels so good to be entirely ready to have God remove all my resentments and help me forgive all past offenses, including my own, so that I can know the blessings of a loving heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment