Friday 28 February 2020

The Viral “Be a Lady” Video that is Slapping Societal Norms in the Face.


I often find myself mindlessly thumbing through the addicting, black hole of social media.

To be quite frank, it’s usually a waste of time and a detriment to my self-esteem.

But, every once in a while, an article or video will surface, and it reminds me of why social media is so powerful; why it can be a tool for good, and change.

The video is narrated by “Sex and the City” star Cynthia Nixon, and it absolutely rocked my world. She is reciting a poem written by Camille Rainville, and let me tell you, she brings the thunder.
She strikes hard on what expectations for a female feel like. It’s akin to being drawn and quartered; it’s being pulled apart from each limb, by sheer force, when we are told to “look natural. Be yourself. Be genuine. Be confident. You’re trying too hard. You look overdone.”
Like rapid-fire, each camera shot, and each word, punctures deep in the heart of these problematic norms.
I watched it once, let the chills run through me, and then watched it again.

I’ve decided it is too important not to share:

~
~

Credit: “Be a Lady They Said” from Paul McLean on Vimeo.

AUTHOR: KATE VICTORIA KENNEY FORCE
IMAGE: PAUL MCLEAN / VIMEO
EDITOR: NAOMI BOSHARI

No comments:

Post a Comment