Wednesday 9 September 2020

Presence

 


"When we let go of our battles and open our hearts to things as they are, then we come to rest hearts to things as they are, then we come to rest in the present moment. This is the beginning in the present moment. This is the beginning and end of spiritual practice." -Jack Kornfield

The technique of noting or labeling is very helpful. In mindfulness we learn to label our thoughts as they appear in our minds and then go back to our breathing. By labeling them, or naming them, we are acknowledging and accepting them, rather than resisting or fighting them. An example of this is when a thought or a plan comes into our mind, we simply say, "Thinking" or "Planning." Noting helps us accept our thoughts and then let them go. Once, while on an airplane, I was writing. I became very frustrated at another passenger's loud music. I remembered noting. So then I thought, "Disturbing music," and "Interruption" and after a moment, as I accepted the fact that I could do nothing about the music, it went more into the background and I became completely absorbed with my writing. Jack Kornfield writes, "Naming the difficulties we encounter brings clarity and understanding and can unlock and free the valuable energy locked up in them."

It is so good to know that when I am disturbed by a thought, I can stop, name what I am feeling, and be at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment